Rates & Policies
MNMS Lab Rates
New cleanroom charges will be implemented on January 15, 2007 at the start of the spring semester. A separate charge sheet will be posted on the MNMS Website detailing costs. Other changes to lab rates that will be implemented on the 15th of January 2007:
- Cleanroom daily rates will apply from 5am to 4:59 am, which is a change from the current midnight changeover.
- Charge sheets will be available for users to check their monthly charges, and a period of one week will be allowed to report any potential discrepancies in charges.
See below for more detailed charges & rate information.
MNMS Lab Charges & Rates
|MNMS Lab Charges||Cost|
|Description||Academic Users||External Users|
|MNMS Cleanroom Access||$60 / day*||$90 / day|
|Prep Room Access||$20 / day||$30 / day|
|MEL Cleanroom Access||$10 / day||$15 / day|
|Safety**||$10 / month||$15 / month|
|* Maximum Academic charge of $800 / mo
** Not applicable for users of MEL Cleanroom
|MNMS Lab Rates||Cost|
|Equipment||Academic Users||External Users|
|* Maximum Academic charge of $2,400
** $15 / minute charge for gold deposition
*** $8 / minute up to 200 minutes of use, then $6 / minute thereafter
|ICP-DRIE (Plasmatherm)||$1 / minute*||$1.5 / minute|
|ICP-DRIE (STS)||$8 / minute***||$15 / minute|
|Cluster (3-gun Dielectric Sputterer)||$20 / hour||$30 / hour|
|Cluster (Evaporator||$20 / hour||$30 / hour|
|Cluster (8-gun Metal Sputterer)||$20 / hour**||$30 / hour**|
|MVD||$12 / hour||$18 / hour|
|ICP-PECVD||$20 / hour||$30 / hour|
|Bonder||$3 / hour||$4.5 / hour|
|RIE (Axic)||$5 / hour||$7.5 / hour|
|SEM||$10 / hour||$15 / hour|
|Super Critical (CO2 Dryer)||$2.5 / hour||$3.75 / hour|
|Furnaces (High Temp)||$2 / hour||$3 / hour|
|Furnaces (Tube)||$2 / hour||$3 / hour|
Vacation/Sick Leave Policy
Supervision of the cleanroom is an essential job and must be covered at all times during normal business hours. An alternate supervisor, as approved by the Laboratory Director, must be in charge of the cleanroom in the event of vacation or sick leave by the Cleanroom Laboratory Specialist. The temporary supervisor will have full access to the facility and be kept up to date on maintenance, schedules, and procedures as performed by the Cleanroom Laboratory Specialist. All staff working for the cleanroom will report to the temporary supervisor.
Security Camera Policy
Security cameras will be installed in all areas of the cleanroom to record activity in the event of equipment misuse or theft. The security cameras will not be monitored on a daily basis, but the images will be stored and kept for the purpose of review of any incidents that occur in the laboratory. In the event of theft or equipment misuse, only the Director of the Cleanroom will review the archives, and the appropriate authorities will be notified. Signs will be posted in all areas stating security cameras are in use.
Research is a fundamental part of the MNMS cleanroom facility. The Research Coordinator will be in charge of the laboratory research activities by working with principal investigators, post-doctoral, and student researchers to advance the research mission of the laboratory, planning research activities in the lab, and facilitating researchers cleanroom requests. In addition, the Research Coordinator will be in charge of chemical safety training, Chemical Storage Request forms, chemical and sample storage allocation, and maintaining MSDS information.
All incidents in the MNMS lab that involve injuries, deliberate misuse or theft will be investigated by a team consisting of the Lab Supervisor, Alternate Supervisor, and MechSE Facilities Supervisor, with a report to be given to the Lab Director.
Equipment Reservation and Charging Policies
Key tools and equipment have specific charges and reservation policies as detailed below. Additional tools and equipment may be added as needed.
- These policies are for Microscopy Suite (212MEB), Prep Room (202A MEB), MEL Cleanroom (2232MEL), and MNMS Cleanroom (213 MEB)
- DRS COVID training is now required to access MNMS Labs
Masks, social distancing, and hand washing minimize transmission of SARS-COV-2. These techniques are at the core of all lab practice changes identified here.
Boarding Pass / App
- It may be required at any time to present your boarding pass or app to MNMS Staff to prove you have granted access to the building
- We should feel safe in our work space. Therefore, the "handshake agreement" has been implemented at MNMS Labs. Each student has the right to ask another user in MNMS Labs to see their boarding pass / app. Both students must share their boarding pass / app. If a user is not building access granted, please contact MNMS staff.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided inside the entrance to the lab
- Use hand sanitizer after entering lab
- Use hand sanitizer before exiting lab
- Clean work spaces with provided disinfectant spray or wipes before use
- Wear your personal mask to get into MEB and MEL
- Wear your personal mask in all MNMS Labs
- Your personal mask needs to be properly positioned
According to the CDC “keeping space between you and others is one of the best tools we have to avoid being exposed to this virus". Additionally, CDC defines social distancing as “Stay at least 6 feet (about 2 arms’ length) from other people”
Therefore: 6ft social distancing while working is required in MNMS Labs.
- Maintain situational awareness. Passing within 6ft of another user is usually avoidable. Be aware of other users to maintain 6ft distance.
- The first training will be remote
- The second training will be >6ft apart or remote
MNMS and MEL Cleanroom
- MEL CR Only
- Only 1 person is allowed gowning or degowning at a time
- If someone else is using the gowning space, patiently wait your turn
- Lab coats should be labelled with your first/last name, and stored for repeat use. Replace lab coat as needed.
- MNMS CR Only
- Only one person at a time allowed to gown
- Only one person at a time allowed to degown
- Only two people total allowed inside gownroom at a time
- View gownroom through window or door before entry
- Only one person allowed in passthrough room at a time
- Visitor gowns are removed. Visitors will use clean launderable gowns then recycle them after use.
- Garment bags are provided in gownroom. Garment bags must cover gown to separate gowns. Replace garment bag as needed or torn/ripped.
- When inside cleanroom, move your hanger to the open area of the hanger rack. This identifies how many people are in CR.
- Only cleanroom campatible facemasks may be exposed to the cleanroom. Therefore, you must wear a cleanroom faceveil, or a cleanroom faceveil and a personal mask inside MNMS CR (but not just a personal mask).
- Phones must be covered by saran wrap
- Supplies must be cleaned before use
- Sanitizing spray (IPA or other) available for use if needed
- One MNMS staff member will be on-site during the work week.
- All MNMS staff will be available during the work week via zoom and phone calls.
- Meetings will now be held online instead of in staff offices.
- Please call 217-244-6302 for Joe Maduzia and 217-333-5694 for Glennys Mensing for assistance.
- For equipment or facilities issues after hours, call Joe Maduzia.